Extreme couponing. You’ve seen it on t.v. You’ve heard the crazy stories about paying less than a dollar for over $100 worth of home supplies. Maybe you’ve even shaken your fist at that unknown but really rude shopaholic that cleared your favorite toothpaste off the shelves during a sale.
If you’ve read my previous posts about treasure hunting at Goodwill and tightening the grocery budget, you know I have a newfound appreciation for penny pinching. What originally felt like my husband punishing me has become an exciting adventure now that we are separated and I don’t mean that in a bad way!
Every dollar I save now goes into my one-adult, two-kids budget. Obviously, we’ve got bills to pay but we also want to go on some fun adventures. The more I earn and save, the more we can do. Which makes ‘treasure hunting’ – and therefore extreme couponing – so much more seductive!
My First Extreme Couponing Haul
Okay so enough with the intro. Just how good (or bad!) did I make out on my first-ever extreme (for me) couponing haul and would I do it again?
My haul took place in one city, over two days, and included only four stores: CVS, Dollar General, H.E.B. (a Texas grocery chain) and Walgreens. This is what I got for a total of $43.89:
- (6) Glade Hawaiian Breeze air freshener (8oz)
- (6) Glade Red Honeysuckle air freshener (8oz)
- (5) Big Roll toilet paper – [1,000] 1 ply sheets
- (5) Smile and Save paper towels –  2 ply sheets
- (3) Gain Flings
- (3) Garnier Whole Blends Avocado Oil + Shea Butter shampoo (12.5oz)
- (3) Garnier Whole Blends Avocado Oil + Shea Butter conditioner (12.5oz)
- (2) Garnier Whole Blends Honey Treasures shampoo (12.5oz)
- (2) Garnier Whole Blends Honey Treasures conditioner (12.5oz)
- (2) Pantene Repair + Protect shampoo (12oz)
- (2) Pantene Repair + Protect conditioner (12oz)
- (2) Tide Pods
- (2) Crest ProHealth mouthwash (33.8oz)
- (2) Colgate Enamel Health toothpaste (4oz)
- (2) Colgate MaxFresh with Whitening toothpaste (6oz)
- (2) Dove Extra Hold hairspray (7oz)
- (2) Speed Stick Gear Overtime deodorant (2.7oz)
- (1) Pantene Daily Moisture Renewal Dream Care shampoo (12.6oz)
- (1) Pantene Daily Moisture Renewal Dream Care conditioner (12.6oz)
- (1) Garnier Fructis Moisture Lock with Cactus Extract shampoo (12.6oz)
- (1) Garnier Fructis Moisture Lock with Cactus Extract conditioner (12.6oz)
- (1) Irish Spring Gear 3-in-1 (18oz)
- (1) Crest Scope Outlast (33.8oz)
- (1) Old Spice Forming Creme (100ml)
- (1) Garnier Fructis Grow Strong 2-in-1 (12.5oz)
- (1) Dove Intense Repair Shampoo (12oz)
- (1) Dove Intense Repair Conditioner (12oz)
- (1) Gain Island Fresh (64oz)
- (1) BIC Comfort Pivot 3 (3ct)
- (1) L’Oreal Extraordinary Oil Nourishing Daily Care shampoo (12.6oz)
- (1) L’Oreal Extraordinary Oil Nourishing Daily Care conditioner (12.6oz)
- (1) Oral-B Pro-Health Jr. Frozen (Elsa) toothbrush
- (1) Orbit Spearmint sugarfree gum (14pcs)
While I know that a pro would have done better, I am super pleased with the results of this first, serious, extreme couponing excursion. After all, I had the one class over a year ago. Needless to say, YES! I am TOTALLY doing this again!
Join the Conversation
Have you tried extreme couponing? How did your experience turn out?